Friday 15 July 2016

Gamebook Friday: Alice's Nightmare in Wonderland

As it's Gamebook Friday, I thought it appropriate to share some recent reviews of Alice's Nightmare in Wonderland with you.

"I don't even play adventure games books as a rule but I liked this one: the story is very strong (creepy!!) and the images are fab. Lots of twists and turns so I cheated (I'm sure this is very bad form) and read all sorts of possible options without even rolling the dice. I'm bad, I know but it was too tempting which just shows how well written it is! Very enjoyable."

"Thoroughly entertaining, ‘Alice’s Nightmare in Wonderland’ is highly imaginative whilst keeping to the flavour of the original."

It's also interesting that one reviewer had this to say about the book:

"Personally I’m not generally a fan of adventure gamebooks written in the third person feeling that it loses some of the interactive immersion offered by being written in the second person. In this case, though, it keeps that feel of the original source material and maintains that lightly ironic sense of humour that permeates Carroll."

This is something I'm battling with at the moment with The Wicked Wizard of Oz, which is currently in the planning stages; do I write it in the third person, as in Alice's Nightmare in Wonderland, or do I write it in the second person? Decisions, decisions...


No comments: